So what goes into a song choice:
1. Does it appeal to dancers/choreographer/audience?
2. What are the dynamics of song like and what are we looking for?
– tempo variations and average tempo?
– rhythms played – salsa/reggaeton/merengue/son montuno, guajira, charanga, timba….
– breaks in the song, what is the intro like, the ending
– are there natural places in the song where we can change orientation and/or types of moves being done
– does the song match the level of the dancers – eg Agua by the group Los Van Van is a high energy fast paced song without much variation in tempo. It requires people who can match that energy, and not everyone can do so.
3. Are the lyrics relevant?
I spent a lot of time on this recently and finally tonight our group – Ithakeros – danced to several song suggestions and chose Los Compeones de la Salsa by Willy Chirino.