Mangos are plentiful now in Goa, and so the idea of mango cake came up. My cousin Preeti and I found this recipe on the web and made it. It turned out really well, serving 8.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 egg
- 1 cup plus 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup chopped peeled mango
- 1/2 cup chopped cashew nuts
- In a small bowl, beat the sugar, oil and egg until well blended. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually beat into sugar mixture and mix well. Fold in mango and cashew nuts.
- Transfer to a greased 6-in. round baking pan. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Notes – If you use fibrous mango you should sieve the pulp first before using otherwise you will get mango fibers in the final cake. The original recipe from the taste of home website used pecans, but we used what we had, cashew nuts. Do not hesitate to experiment with the recipe, using alternatives such as a different oil if you do not have canola. You could add additional spices, or raisins. Your options are only limited by your imagination.