- 1 cup coarse semolina/sooji/rava (roasted lightly)
- 1 very large onion
- 1 green chili
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 ½ cups of hot water
- 2 tbsps Ghee/oil (Ghee gives a great flavor, coconut oil is also great)
- Several curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- Finely chop onion and green chili
- In heated oil drop mustard seeds and curry leaves, then add chopped onion and chili. Once onions are sauteed and reduced a bit, add ginger powder and after a few minutes the diced tomatoes. Next add the semolina and hot water, mix and set aside in closed container.
- It is easy to do variations with upmaa. The simplest upmaa you can make is without onions and tomatoes. Then anything you add makes it different. To the above recipe I added some chopped cilantro and cashew nuts to give it just a little bit more. The end result is what you see as the feature image for this post. Have fun playing around with ingredients you like to make your own rava upmaa!